Monday, 4 January 2010

Best of Scottish Crafts and Crafters


So, what do I mean by craft and crafter. There are so many mediums that fall under this category including:



  • glass

  • wood

  • basketry

  • paper

  • metal

  • fabric
  • yarn
  • leather

For one person it might mean making items from home and selling them through craft fairs; for another it may be working from a studio and being commissioned to make one-off exclusive pieces of artwork. To me they all have one thing in common and that is that the items have been made by the individual in a creative way and made with passion. I really do believe that most crafters are almost reluctant to sell their pieces.



For this New Year I'm searching the whole of Scotland to find out what I think is the best. I'd like to start with glass as this is one of my favourite mediums. Geoffrey Mann produces the most amazing glass I've ever seen. To be quite honest, I'm not sure I understand the process he goes through to make his art but it just blows me away. Tell me? Is this art or is this craft - you decide.

Contact: http://www.mrmann.co.uk



1 comment:

  1. Its lovely whatever you call it :D
    I guess it is both
    Good luck with the blog, it looks lovely. People will come, it takes time to get the ball rolling

    ReplyDelete